Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

recent bell top elementary school visit

I just finished my annual ecologist-in-residence visit at the Bell Top School in the East Greenbush CSD in Troy, NY. My visit culminated with my nature tunes and tales assembly program that was highlighted by a performance of "The Lorax" by Mrs. Gigglio's 3rd grade class (special appearance by Peter as the Lorax).

We investigated general ecology, insect study (including capturing a pair of mating walking sticks), aquatic ecology (study pond water organisms in water samples from the Landis Arboretum in Esperance, NY), mammals and trees.

One of the things that I empasize with all these classes is that scientist do research to find answers to the questions they come up with. An example of this has a fun side to the learning opportunity. In my tree exploration walks I end with a short discussion of how we humans use trees - for lumber, food, paper, inspiration, enjoyment, etc. I then procede to show them how I can use an acorn cap from an oak tree to make a whistle. The shrill whistle produces a group of ear plugging young scientists asking "How did you do that?" My response - "You'll have to do some research."

I suggested that they might google "acorn cap whistle" with mom or dad's help not knowing if there was indeed a site that would show how. Indeed there is! Check the link I have here or search for yourself.

No comments: