Pages

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Ornithology at Ostrander Elementary School

I am continuing my Ecologist-In-Residence program at Ostrander Elementary School in Wallkill. Today we were ornithologists with Mrs. Stokes 3rd grade class doing a spring bird inventory of the school yard. Our walk was at 1:45 in the afternoon. We counted the following birds:

Common Grackle – 6
Ring-billed Gull – 4
American Crow – 38
House Sparrow – 4
Mourning Dove – 3
European Starling – 3
Red-winged Blackbird – 11
Blue Jay – 1

I had been doing General Ecology walks with 1st grade classes earlier in the day and there was much more bird activity. During those walks we saw over 1000 Canada Geese. We also observed a Red-tailed Hawk, several more Blue Jays and many more American Crows.

The habitat for birds at Ostrander is very good. As the spring season moves forward more birds will return from their winter homes and many more species could be counted at the school. I have two more third grade ornithology session scheduled next week. It will be interesting to see what the bird species counts will be for those classes. I will post those findings here after I have done those walks.

No comments: