Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Owl study at the Frothingham Library

I had a wonderful time giving my owl ecology presentation this past Monday at the Frothingham Free Library in Fonda, NY. About 30 children with parents and grandparents in tow had the chance to learn about owls. They dissected owl pellets to find out what owls like to eat. Here is what we found.




We took apart 13 pellets and found 34 mice and 1 shrew. There might have been a few more mice undiscovered as some of the pellets had not been completely dissected in the time we had. We did not find any evidence that the owls had eaten moles or birds.



We had a small sample, 13 pellets. By dissecting more pellets we might get a different picture of what the owl’s food preference might be. If you look through the archives of my blog you can find the results that other groups have found when dissecting owl pellets in my programs. In addition, I will be doing owl presentations at other libraries this summer, as part of the Summer Reading Club program. I will post those results here. Check my blog to see what other kids find.